I've been fortunate enough to travel all over the world and visit castles, cathedrals, theme parks, beaches, and landmarks. But after all that, I've found the most satisfying and fulfilling vacations include lots of time on the seat of a bicycle or in a pair of hiking boots. I enjoy trails for numerous reasons:
- I can see places I wouldn't see otherwise.
- I get exercise while touring.
- The trails are usually less crowded and always have a nice mix of tourists and locals.
- Long-distance trails often take you to authentic locations like a New England Village or an uncrowded beach.
- Rail-trails often allow you to view historical sites that are mostly unchanged over the years.
- Trails frequently go through a nice mix of urban, rural, and suburban.
- The slower pace of biking trails and hiking paths allow for a better view of the local scenery.
|Proposed map of Great Plains Trail|