Tuesday, June 15, 2010

New York & New Jersey Trails

I recently came across a website dedicated to New York trails & New Jersey trails

By itself, this was a pretty good find, since I haven't yet had the opportunity to ride bike or hike in New York or New Jersey.

But I was especially thrilled to find out about a wilderness area in the Catskills called the Slide Mountain Wilderness Area.

Why did this excite me, you may ask?

Because ever since I read the book My Side of the Mountain, by Jean Craighead George, I've been obsessed by the Catskills. I loved the book, I loved (especially as a teenager) the idea of "living off the land," and I loved the idea of wandering around for a year in the Catskill Mountains. Ms. George did such a fantastic job of describing the scenery and the wildlife, that I could picture myself immersed in the day-to-day trappings of being a recluse in the wilds of New York.

What is especially funny about this is that I grew up in northwestern Montana. Imagine a boy from the mountains of Montana dreaming of the "wilds of New York."  (-:

Someday I look forward to including New Jersey and New York trails on trailsnet.com.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: