Monday, June 14, 2010

Bikes on Trains

Ever since I rode the Santa Fe Trail in New Mexico, I've been psyched to do another "rails with trails" bike journey.

On the Santa Fe trail, I rode the Santa Fe Rail Trail all day, then rode the Railrunner Express train to Albuquerque where I rode a section of the Bosque Bike Trail.

I saw a lot of beautiful scenery on the Native American lands while I rode the commuter train from Santa Fe to Albuquerque. The pueblos were very different than many of the others I've seen in New Mexico and other areas of the Southwest.

And of course the bike rides were great too. The bike rides are always great!!!

Now I've got the itch to do more bike and rail combined trips. There was a great article in the July-August National Geographic Traveler about "Europe's 10 Best Rail Rides." As I read each one, I kept wondering, "Are there any bike trails nearby?" Can you take bikes on those trains?"

Someday I plan to find out the answers to those questions. And when I do, I share them with you on www.trailsnet.com.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: