Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bike Boulevard ... good or bad?

Okay, I've never liked interrogatory headlines. They're a dime-a-dozen.

And the one above is even worse, because the answer is obvious; anything done by any city to promote and improve the bicycling experience is good.

But I have to admit, for the second time in this blog, I'm a trail snob. I avoid riding my bike on the road at all costs. One of the greatest people I've ever known and a leading citizen of my current town (You are awesome John Breaux) was killed while riding his bike nearly 30 feet off the road. He was about as far in the ditch as possible. (As usual, he was trying to beautify the community by picking up trash; and also as usual, he was doing it on his bicycle.)

So that brings me to Columbia, Missouri. The good folks there have created a bicycle boulevard. Not only is it a step (or in this case, pedal) in the right direction, it also is also awesome alliteration.

So then, what's up w/ my "good or bad?" question in the title. Could they have built a trail nearby that would have kept bikers even more safe? It's not just a rhetorical question. The answer is no. After reading the article and seeing the price tag of the bicycle boulevard, they definitely could not have. I adore trails, but this whole blog is my way of saying, "Good on ya, Columbia." Thanks for improving biking in your neck of the woods.

Next time, how about a new trail?  (Sorry, I just had to ask.)

Share/Bookmark

No comments: