Saturday, February 19, 2011

Say "Thanks" to trail workers

I love being one of the first people on a brand new trail, so I loved today's bike ride.

I've been waiting for this trail to open for some time, and today, I noticed it was ready for "customers." It was beautiful weekend day, so despite the trails newness, I didn't have it anywhere near to myself. It looked as if there were other trail users who like new trails also.

Trail workers are awesome!!
In fact, the trail was so new, there was a crew of a couple guys still working on it, putting on those finishing touches. So as I rode my bike by them, I struck up a conversation. When we parted ways, I said "thanks" for helping bring this new trail to life.

I could tell by their reaction, that they weren't used to having people say thank you. After all, they get paid to work on the trail, don't they?

Well in this case, yes. They were paid employees, but they still deserved a thank you. Because a.) I'm sure they don't get paid a heck of a lot and most importantly b.) they took pride in their work. I could tell this by how enthusiastically they answered my questions and by the smiles on their faces. Here it was, the weekend, and they were working while so many of us were out loafing, and they seemed to enjoy what they were doing.

So a big thank you to all the paid and volunteer trail workers. If it wasn't for you, we would be missing out on some of the best places and activities on this planet.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: