|Looking down on the C & O Canal Towpath trail from|
the Western Maryland Rail Trail.
- Despite the recession & high unemployment, active travel tour companies are seeing an increase in visitor traffic and, in some cases, they're having record years.
- In addition to private travel companies, states and municipalities are seeing an increase in bicycle-related visits and, as a result, many are increasing their marketing toward the active travelers.
- More communities are beginning to add infrastructure such as trails and lodging to attract bicyclists.
- U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood seems to be a big supporter of bicycling and other modes of alternative transportation.
- The Rail-Trail network continues to expand in both potential (new land acquired) and in trail miles.
- The U.S. is seeing an increased influx of travelers from other countries who travel here specifically to utilize the rail-trails.