Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bike-Friendly Cities

A couple months ago, I hosted a survey about which U.S. city was the best city for bicycling.

I didn't get much of a response. I think one possibility for the apathy is that many people  do not equate "trails" w/ "cities." There's an attitude that trails have to be out in the country to be tranquil and scenic.

I'll admit, I used to think that way too. But it ain't so, my friends!!

Some of my favorite biking trails go through urban as well as rural areas.

I'm not alone in this assessment. National Geographic Traveler magazine published an article called "Great Bike-Friendly Cities." In that article, the following cities rated high for their bicycle culture and environment. Some of the cities that rated high included:
Mt. Vernon Bike Trail w/ the Washington
D. C. monuments in the background.


  • Portland, OR
  • New York
  • Chicago
  • San Diego
  • San Francisco
  • Montreal
  • Washington D.C.
Some of those cities may have surprised you, but they owe their place on the list to recent improvements in bicycle trails, bike lanes, and general biking accessibility, safety, and promotion.


Share/Bookmark

No comments: