Here are some important economic figures that relate to the benefits of trails:
|hikers enjoying the trail|
- Active outdoor recreation generates $730 million to the economy each year.
- Trails and other outdoor pursuits provide 6.5 million jobs annually.
- There are 437 million recreational visits to Interior-managed lands.
- One U.S. trail generated an estimated 80,000 trips w/ trail users spending $40.8 million.
- Bicycle recreation supports more than $924 million in tourism.
- Although the per capita annual cost of trail use is $209, per capita annual direct medical benefits was $564. This means that every dollar spent on trails provided $2.94 in direct medical benefit.
- are cheaper to build
- are cheaper to maintain
- provide more jobs per mile
- provide health benefits
- provide recreational opportunities
- provide viable transportation options
- are much more environmentally sustainable
- Information about new active travel websites
- Information about a possible huge format change for the trailsnet website
- Information about new maps to be included on the trailsnet website
- Information about the National Trails System