Friday, November 5, 2010

Trail Sharing

Some things we just take for granted.

For example, most trails I've ridden on around the U.S. were shared trails. One very limited example of a shared trail is one on which both hikers and bikers can recreate. (Not procreate... that would be just a little too sharesy for most jurisdictions.)

But many trails also include numerous other forms of trail mobility including inline skating, horseback riding etc.

But in a recent email from Barry, in Japan, I was surprised to learn that "In my country cyclists are forbidden to ride on hiking trails under the jurisdiction of the "Department of Conservation", or National Parks."


I've been meaning to write a blog on the topic of shared trails for a while, so my thanks go out to Barry for prodding me to "...get 'er done." So without further ado, here was my email reply to Barry:



I am so glad you asked me about shared trails...
The majority of trails in the U.S. are shared trails... some more than others. The last two Everytrail Guides I completed were about trails shared by: snowmobilers, cross-country skiers, snowshoers, hikers, bikers, and equestrians. One of the two was also shared by ATVs and motorcycles.
However, those trails were not quite the ordinary. Most trails prohibit motor vehicles. But many of the paved trails do allow inline skaters.
As for whether I support them... Wholeheartedly. It goes back to, "Why can't we all just share and get along?"
Now for the unspoken question: "Do other people agree with me?"
If you judged based upon the letters to the editor in my local newspaper... Absolutely not!!
Many people are vehemently opposed to sharing trails with bicyclists. Needless to say, biking is one of the most important activities in my life, and I do it on a daily basis, mostly on trails. But I can't blame people who are enraged by bikers. To some people/bikers, all life is a race. They're always rush, rush, rushing. This is intimidating, unsafe, and unfriendly for hikers. 
I have experienced this rush, rush attitude w/ bikers on roads and on mountain bike trails. I have not seen it on rail-trails. It seems like bikers on rail-trails are more calm, relaxed, and courteous. It also helps that rail-trails are usually much wider than mountain bike trails.

Anyway, that was the just of my email response to Barry. Now if it sounds like I'm picking on bikers and want to limit their trail use, quite the opposite is true. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a tireless advocate for more bike trails. However, that's not going to happen as long as bikers are rude and inconsiderate to other trail users.
Oh, and by the way, I think just as many hikers are equally rude. Why do some hikers feel compelled to take up the whole path and have to be asked/begged to share the trail? I am also a hiker and I always stay to the far right and am aware of what's going on in front of me and behind me. I love to share the trail and stay out of the way of other trail users. Whether I am biking or hiking, I do so in single file about 90% of the time. If I ride/walk side-by-side, I pay even more attention to other trail users and move over when I see someone approaching.
The Mount Vernon Trail in Virginia is a
 good example of  a shared trail
with bikers, trail runners, walker, skaters
...
It's all about courtesy and sharing. Trails are one of the greatest luxuries in life. Let's all respect one another and share the wealth.
It sounds like this may be a good subject for the next survey in the left sidebar. What do you say? As always, I'd love reader feedback.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you pointed out that hikers are (at least) equally to blame for poor relations on the trails. I never understood how or why one hiker takes up an entire trail. It must be a power struggle for powerless individuals.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you pointed out that hikers are (at least) equally to blame for poor relations on the trails. I never understood how or why one hiker takes up an entire trail. It must be a power struggle for powerless individuals.