Friday, September 3, 2010

B-cycle bike rentals program adds third city

For those who want to visit the big city without a large carbon output or money output, there are many low-cost bike loan programs available.

With the swipe of a credit card bicyclists are able to borrow a bike for a half hour (free) to a whole day. It saves the planet, it saves money, and it saves the renter from facing all the traffic congestion on the road.

I know this isn't a new program and similar bike rental schemes (as they call it in Europe) are in place world-wide. But it got me thinking...

Wouldn't it be great to have a similar program available at rails-to-trails trailheads? I know it would have been immensely helpful on a couple of my trips to know there were bikes available, 24 hrs. a day, to be rented at one station and returned at another.

I think I'll contact the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy about this idea. I'd say it's worth a trial run.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: