Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lone Biker

“One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more.” - Thomas Jefferson

Another reason for my solo travels.

Every time I go on a trip... and I mean every time... and I go on lots of trips... the same people ask me: Who are you going with? Are you going alone?

The answer is always the same: I'm going by myself. 

I wonder if other "business travelers" get these questions over and over. My guess is, probably not. I don't think people perceive my trips as "business trips" because they involve riding bikes on awesome trails in beautiful landscapes. Doesn't sound like a typical business trip does it?

Besides, I'm pretty sure I would have trouble finding the perfect travel partner. They would have to have the following qualifications:

  • Enjoy bike riding
  • Be willing to ride very slowly (Even on a good day, I'm a slow bike rider since I like to enjoy the scenery, but on these "business trips" I take tons of photos and jot journals full of notes.) or...
  • Be willing to ride alone
  • Be satisfied w/ a wide variety of accommodations from nice to budget
  • ditto w/ meals, from sumptuous to meager
Bottom line... I love these trips, but more picky travelers might not. I love being on the road and on the trail and my expectations for everything else are pretty low to non-existent.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: